ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephane Bailliez" <sbaill...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Speaking of deprecation...
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2002 19:04:44 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Loughran" <steve_l@iseran.com>
> > snapshot easily takes 1 GB. (this is where I wished all HTML docs could
be
> > in a JavaHelp or CHM-like format automatically)
>
> www.iseran.com/stuff : JDK130 and J2EE sdks in chm

Cool ! But...."You don't have permission to access /stuff/ on this server."

> I dont actually keep JDKs under SCM, but we list in big letters what ones
> use. This does not stop operations from sticking different versions on
> production servers because they think better...my app now has defensive

I'm putting this under SCM also because I had QA testing builds with
everything but the appropriate one ranging from beta, to jbuilder one, some
with hotspot server, other classic, other client. A chaos as described by
Diane.
"so here's the load test report" "what's the vm ?" "uh ? don't know it is
the one installed on the computer, is that important ?"

> measures in like checking for old versions of java, crimson and refusing
> run. Kind of funny when your code has to contain tests because ops dont
read
> the documentation, but that is all in the category of 'installation
> validation' tests, that I now belive all deployed apps should have,.

> I do keep jikes under SCM, because I dont want anyone using the 1.15
build.

Good thing. That's also why it was removed from IDEA .

[...]
> So to get back to Costin: SCM means Software Configuration Management, not
> source code management. When you build/deploy on any toolchain with a rate
> of change greater than the life of the project, then yes, everything you
can
> should go into SCM, even if clearcase does happen to suck.

yay, clearfsimport on 5000 javadoc files and you feel good. :o)

Stephane