ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: TryCatchFinallyTask - thoughts and possible syntax
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2002 12:27:47 GMT
Just a few off the top of my head:

- Property immutability holes!  :)

- Fileset restrictions - all files must be under a directory root, so its a
very limited view of a file "set" and often leads to some strange
constructs.  I'm planning on making a change eventually to allow a single
file fileset to be specified with a path and no 'dir' - but I don't see a
way to make it more generic in Ant 1.x without breaking something because of
the way DirectoryScanner is used and such.  Thoughts?

- Classpath issues that require JAR's to be in system classpath. For
example, junit.jar.  Is there a way to solve this so the classpath can
literally be empty and internal to the build file a reference to junit.jar's
location is specified?  I've got no classloader experience so I haven't a
clue. This leads to the next one...

- Drop-in tasks - being able to extend Ant's capabilities more easily

- Flexible element/attribute naming so that a task can be extended with more
natural constructs without requiring the code be modified: <ejbjar>/<jonas>
for example.  Sure, <vendor classname="org.....jonas...."> could be used,
but thats clunky, especially when it comes to dealing with attribute names
that should be more descriptive than <var name="someProperty" value=""/>.

How's that for a start?!  :)

    Erik