ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Promotion of FilterReaders proposal to main development tree.
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2002 15:27:12 GMT
From: <costinm@covalent.net>

> Not if you first declare "striplinecomments" as a type, using
> a typedef declaration ( or antlib ).

How will I be able to extend from java.ioFilterReader
as well as DataType at the same time?

Also, note one of my aims was to be able to write
a pluggable filterreader that has been created
without making use of any of Ant's APIs...  I don't
know how _important_ it is for this rule to
stay, but if it stays, it will be more convenient...

> The class would have to follow ant's patterns - i.e. have
> addComment(), etc - like a task ( or a TaskAdapter-ed task )
> would.

It already does so that it can be used
in short form notation too.  That is,
<filterreader classname="org.apache.tools.ant.filters.StripLineComments">
</filterreader>
can also be written as
<striplinecomments>
</striplinecomments>

<filterreader> is in there only to take away the
need to have to modify FilterChain by a user
who writes a custom filterreader.

<filterreader> would not be needed once
<antlib> gets included.

> You're code is just implementing a particular case. If you
> don't want to wait for antlib, refactor your code to make
> it more generic and it'll be <antlib> :-)

There are enough proposals already ;-)
I will just wait till something surfaces
and I will use it.  Till then, look at
<filterreader> as another motivation
for <antlib> ;-)

> Costin

Cheers,
Magesh

* Politics is the gentle art of getting votes *
* from the poor and campaign funds from the   *
* rich, by promising to protect each from the *
* other. --- Oscar Ameringe                   *