ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephane Bailliez" <sbaill...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Compilation error in VAJWorkspaceScanner
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2002 13:28:53 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Skeet" <jon.skeet@peramon.com>

>I've finally managed to get all the appropriate libraries together to be
>able to compile the *whole* of the src/main tree of CVS. (I had to cheat
>a bit with WebLogic as DDCreator isn't part of WL5.1 and higher - but
>only two WL classes are used and then only in terms of calling a main()
>method.)

[...]
>(It's public in DirectoryScanner and protected in VAJWorkspaceScanner,
>and static in both.)

I have noticed that some time ago and dropped a mail here and asked a VAJ
user about giving me the API of VAJ so that I can check it or even create
the missing mock objects. Conor kindly shared its mock jar unfortunately it
was incomplete since some changes apparently went in since then.  I started
creating it by hand based on the code but it's a complete nightmare due to
the coding style used which prevent from seeing the object used. ie
getThat().getThis().getB().doThat() and a checked exception thrown in the
middle of it, so I dropped it. That was too much pain to figure out the
interface.

[...]
>More worrying, however, is that we've got code that doesn't compile. I
>believe this has been a problem since November 28th 2001, when the
>method was made public in DirectoryScanner. Shouldn't the automated
>builds have shown this was a problem much earlier? Do the automated
>builds not build the optional packages?

You may have noticed the dependency to a 'commercial' product....
I'm not even sure about the legal thing of having mock objects of the
interfaces used in source control.

>One thing I've been considering writing is a tool to make it rather
>easier for people to be able to compile the whole source tree (rather
>than using Ant's built-in ways of avoiding building what it won't know
>about.) The tool would be run by someone who *did* have all the

If you can find someone that does have all dependencies :o)

I have a load of it but far from all:
activation, antlrall, bcel, bsf, oro, regexp, jdepend, jta, junit, log4j,
mail, netcomponents, netrexx, starteam,xalan2,xalan1,xerces, xslp
All these are easy to get on the internet. more pain for xslp that has to be
retrieved/built from cvs, antlrall that has to be built and starteam where
you must go through the registering process to get the api.

If someone wants to share its dependencies....

[...]
>idea? Does a tool like this already exist?

Don't think so. It would be useful as a workaround over a situation that
should not exist anyway...
This problem is an example of why we are now so reluctant at including a
task for a commercial product none of the committer is familiar with or
owns. Especially if it is a API dependency. It often ends up with a set for
life task with less support than others and which is never used and never
compiled. Alternatively it could also means that there is no VAJ user using
this task that built it from the cvs source...

Stephane