ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Two possible new tasks
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:52:31 GMT
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 20:08, Diane Holt wrote:
> > --- Erik Hatcher <jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
> > > +0
> > >
> > > Not against them, just don't personally have a need for them.  I use
> > > relative paths in my build files and 'location' to lock them in to
> > > absolute paths when/if I need to.
> >
> > So do I, and I don't know for a fact that I'd ever have a need for them
> > either, but a) some people obviously do, and b) even doing things the
way
> > you do, how would you get just the filename (should you ever need to,
that
> > is)?
>
> Consider the following case. Property X has the location of a dependent
jar
> and you need to create a fileset from that property. <dirname/> to get the
> dir, then <basename/> to get the filename to use and voila you have it ;)
>
> At least thats the biggeswt use case I have come across ;)

Yes!!!!  So I am now a big +1 for Diane's new tasks.  Thanks for spelling
that out.

But, I think this points out that <fileset> is broken.  It should be a set
of files, regardless of their directory.  And this particular problem does
bite me often and I end up making properties to parent directories when I'd
rather not.

    Erik