ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: [WARN] Removing the file attribute from <zip> and friends tomorrow
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2002 06:49:52 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 9:58 PM
Subject: Re: [WARN] Removing the file attribute from <zip> and friends
tomorrow

> > > I prefer leaving them in with a deprecation message, though removing
all
> > > documentation of their very existence from the manual pages.
>
> +1
>
> Theres already a bunch of people who converted their buildfiles to use
"file"
> - whats the harm in having an undocumented deprecated attribute still
exist.
> It is only 3 lines of code ;)

I dunno, Stephane and Conor have convinced me it is a fundamental 'freedom
to fiddle with the betas' issue

How about we do something like implement a hard coded countdown in the
source; the deprecation lists a "5 days left" to use this attribute until it
turns itself off. That way even copies of the library in SCM wont work
either  :)

otherwise, make the deprecation message bigger and bigger till we turn it
off by hand
-steve