ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: new ant task to update J2ME MIDP JAD files
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2002 06:39:38 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Akhil Arora" <akhil.arora@sun.com>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 7:52 PM
Subject: Re: new ant task to update J2ME MIDP JAD files

> thanks for the thorough code review, jon
> are you signing up to commit this code, then?
> another question: is it ok to use java2-specific calls in ant?
>
> Jon Skeet wrote:
> >
> > > I wrote a small ant task (called jad) that is useful for J2ME/MIDP
> > > development. This task updates the size of a MIDlet jar in the jad
> > > file. The jar size mentioned in the jad must be accurate or the MIDlet
> > > is rejected by Motorola's iDEN phones. Sun's J2ME Wireless Toolkit
> > > does this automatically, but this tool is useful for those who prefer
> > > to build MIDlets using ant (like myself :-)).

Akhil. How about getting the task into the Sun toolkit itself?

The reason for that is that tasks dont have to be be in the complete
distribution to be used in a build, and keeping the tasks with the products
not only keeps the ant team's maintenance load down, it also keeps the task
in sync with the product it is working with.

There are already some mobile stuff in the ant list of external tasks:
http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/external.html, but it could do with some
unification, more tests (inevitably) and some rounding documentation (also
inevitably).

There is some (!) discussion on how best to implement a better library
Ant. If we can do this, then we will have a better means of integrating
external task libraries into the tools.

This doesnt mean that the apache project doesnt want your contribution, only
that the Ant team is trying to be more selective now as to what is core and
what can moved into self contained projects. It would seem to me that
'mobile and embedded' would be an interesting area self contained ant
project area, and indeed an interesting and self contained area for other
java dev that apache could start getting into.

> as to the manual page, i must write one, i suppose. i may not have
> time to do this before JavaOne, though.

Man page and tests are the things that new tasks are expected to have. I
know we have been slack that requirement in the past, but it only delays the
effort, nowadays we try and add support for existing tasks whenever we get a
chance.

An initial man page can just be a list of attributes and a couple of
examples. With the new xdocs proposal from Erik to autogenerate
documentation, it should be easy.

-steve