ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Dealing with ClassLoaders
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 01:10:39 GMT
From: "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <barozzi@nicolaken.com>

> From: "Conor MacNeill" <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>
>
> > Jose Alberto,
> >
> > I have the following problems with your proposal:
> >
> > 1. It assumes that jars used by Ant should be placed into sub-directories
> of
> > the Ant install directory. I know Ant is the centre of the Universe but I
> > don't think we should be encouraging everything to end up in there. I know
> > this happens today with the lib directory. I'm not happy about that but I
> > think this proposal will just magnify the problem.
>
> IMHO the best solution it to consider a totally different directory from
> Ant's one.
>
> The problem came up with the development of a starter-project build with Ant
> and Cocoon called Krysalis Centipede http://www.krysalis.org . It's still in
> early stages, but I've already come up with something quite usable, and the
> new POI project at Jakarta is using it.

There is nothing stoping you from putting your libraries somewhere else as long
as you are willing to use <antlib> to load them.

> I need to make it easy to upgrade Ant: if the Ant dirs are clean, ie only
> with ant files, I can just ask to put the new Ant there and no modification
> is necessary.

This is in escence what we want to do. If you want easy upgrading, do not put
third party jars in the autoload directory, use <antlib> instead. The effect is
exactly the same.

Jose Alberto