ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Curt Arnold" <carn...@houston.rr.com>
Subject <cc> status (was what's going on with 1.x)
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2002 06:07:10 GMT
I've been on the road the last week and was just browsing some of the "What's going on with
Ant 1.x" thread on the ant-dev list.

One of the topics that was mentioned was the status of the <cc> task over in ant-contrib
project at SourceForge.  I think it is premature to move it to the Apache CVS until we are
able to build some serious projects with it and have refined it a bit more.  I'm just starting
to use it to try to build Xerces-C and am finally able to spend working with it.  I'd hate
to freeze the task syntax at this point.

In a previous message (http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/18057/0/7785927/) on
the ant-contrib-developers mailing list, I discussed the problem on the parts of the compile
fileset being dependent on properties.  For example, you'd only want to src/xercesc/util/NetAccessors/WinSock/*.cpp
files compiled when "use-winsock" was defined and would have different files compiled when
use-libwww, use-socket or use-macosurl were defined.

In that message, I described the problem and threw out a couple of ways of approaching the
issue within the <cc> task.  However, with a little (but not much more) thought, it
seems that adding an "if" and "unless" attribute to <fileset> (or maybe <includes>
and <excludes>) might be a more generally useful approach.  However, I'll be the first
to admit that I don't have a feel for how complicated that would be and whether it would be
an affront to some Ant ethos.  (There would also need to be a "if" and "unless" on <defineset>
or <define> and <undefine>, but that is within the cpptasks code).  If you are
going to slam that suggestion, let me know how you would approach the problem.

I'll continue trying to build Xerces-C and will report the possibly unpretty trials and tribulations
on the ant-contributors mailing list.  After we can build Xerces-C using VC on Win32 and gcc
on Linux, then it would be a good opportunity with developers who have access to other platforms
to up the supported compilers and platforms.  After that phase is complete, I'd think that
<cc> would be ready to go mainstream.