ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: We need to stop the lies
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2002 05:19:19 GMT
From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>

> On Sat, 23 Feb 2002 21:33, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> > From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>
> >
> > > If the set of classes from each source is disjoint then there is no real
> > > need for a strictly hierarchial approach. You can easily accomodate the
> > > multiparent scenario.
> > >
> > > However what you describe does not need this and may be modeled as simple
> > > aggregation of classloaders like most other container based APIs specify.
> >
> > So what is your point?
>
> That nothing needs to be changed as all is good now.

Are you trying to say that the <style> <ejbjar> etc. task are working as advertised,

and that it should be just natural that people need to pick appart the jars that we shipped
to get their work done?

> Myrmidon just declares dependencies via the JDK1.3
> "Optional Package" spec on libraries and then all dependencies will loaded
> into same classloader (unless they already exist in parent ClassLoader).

This is also available in Antlib proposal. However, in my experience ans due to
the fact that many 3rd party libraries have a different release cycle than ANT,
you finish with libraries with the wrong name, and it is difficult to use libraries
relative to the project.

> > Unless you are planning to write some new proxy classloaders that allow for
> > multiple parents, I really do not understand yout comments above.
>
> They are already written but I don't think they are appropriate for ant. I
> think you will find that reusing classloaders rather than recreating a new
> one will cause far more troubles than its worth and not at all viable in some
> cases (ie Velocity case).

Can you please elaborate? What is the Velocity case?

Jose Alberto