ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: We need to stop the lies
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2002 08:47:40 GMT
From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>

> On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 16:30, Conor MacNeill wrote:
> > > From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@apache.org]
> > >
> > All of this is handled by the VM. Can you point out where the spec deals
> > with application resolution of optional packages?
>
> Hmm - I am fairly sure I answered this question last time ...
>
> It is ****NOT**** done by the JVM but needs to be implemented by container
> vendors. Avalon/Phoenix implements it, as does TC4 as does most newer servlet
> (and ejb?) containers because it is part of their spec.
>
> Look at they way that all the commons products now use it - even ant is
> following the spec now due to a recent contribution. Heres a basic reference
>
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/extensions/versioning.html
>
> Example dependency declaration
>
> Extension-List: javahelp
> javahelp-Extension-Name: javax.help
> javahelp-Specification-Version: 1.0
> javahelp-Implementation-Version: 1.0.3
> javahelp-Implementation-Vendor-Id: com.sun
>
> No location dependent information there.

So, how does it work with Class-Path. You are proposing using Class-Path
don't you? The stuff above is about the extension mechanism
which several people have mention here are evil and we should never ever use
etc, etc, etc.

Are we changing out minds.
Can you post a proposal on how this libraries will work in the context of ANT?

Jose Alberto