ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: [Submit] PVCS Dimensions; external & custom Tasks
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 13:34:18 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Nigel Magnay" <Nigel.Magnay@Parsec.co.uk>

> >Actually, when I was reworking the tasks overview page, I was thinking
> >of adding a section for Unsupported (or External, Contributed, whatever)
> >Tasks, and listing the links in the doc. Would something like that
> >suffice? (See the tasksoverview.html file in ...docs/manual in CVS to
> >see what I'm referring to.)

I think this would get cumbersome to manage, but in general somehow we
(ant-dev) should come up with a "registry" of tasks so that its easy to
find.  Kinda like jEdit plugins, for example.  Perhaps we need a simple
manager UI (via WebStart?) that can query our registry and pull down the
latest greatest versions of tasks.

We're a ways from that, but something we should aim for probably. And with
the antlib initiatives I'm sure we're getting closer.

> Thinking about it, what would be even nicer is something such as the
> following:
>
> * Tasks can be in jar files dropped in the lib directory

They already can be.  And if the JAR files contain a properties file that
has this:

    taskname=fully.qualified.classname

Then you can simply:

    <taskdef resource="taskdef.properties"/>

> * Tasks can be added merely by dropping new jar files into the lib
directory

Not automagically yet, but see above.

> This does mean that the task 'namespace' is controlled by jakarta by
> default, but that sounds like no bad thing...

I don't think we want to get that tight with it, but certainly this is an
area where we need substantial improvement in the future.

    Erik