ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <baro...@nicolaken.com>
Subject Re: Dealing with ClassLoaders
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2002 07:12:02 GMT
From: "Conor MacNeill" <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>

> Jose Alberto,
>
> I have the following problems with your proposal:
>
> 1. It assumes that jars used by Ant should be placed into sub-directories
of
> the Ant install directory. I know Ant is the centre of the Universe but I
> don't think we should be encouraging everything to end up in there. I know
> this happens today with the lib directory. I'm not happy about that but I
> think this proposal will just magnify the problem.

IMHO the best solution it to consider a totally different directory from
Ant's one.

The problem came up with the development of a starter-project build with Ant
and Cocoon called Krysalis Centipede http://www.krysalis.org . It's still in
early stages, but I've already come up with something quite usable, and the
new POI project at Jakarta is using it.

I need to make it easy to upgrade Ant: if the Ant dirs are clean, ie only
with ant files, I can just ask to put the new Ant there and no modification
is necessary.

Thank you for the work you are all doing on Ant, it's WAY COOL! :-)

--
Nicola Ken Barozzi                 barozzi@nicolaken.com
            - verba volant, scripta manent -