ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: <cc> status (was what's going on with 1.x)
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2002 12:48:16 GMT
Since I'm taking what you've said below as saying that includes/excludes
need if/unless capability.  Well, they already do!

    Erik

----- Original Message -----
From: "Curt Arnold" <carnold@houston.rr.com>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Cc: <ant-contrib-developers@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2002 1:07 AM
Subject: <cc> status (was what's going on with 1.x)

I've been on the road the last week and was just browsing some of the
"What's going on with Ant 1.x" thread on the ant-dev list.

One of the topics that was mentioned was the status of the <cc> task over in
ant-contrib project at SourceForge.  I think it is premature to move it to
the Apache CVS until we are able to build some serious projects with it and
have refined it a bit more.  I'm just starting to use it to try to build
Xerces-C and am finally able to spend working with it.  I'd hate to freeze
the task syntax at this point.

In a previous message
(http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/18057/0/7785927/) on the
ant-contrib-developers mailing list, I discussed the problem on the parts of
the compile fileset being dependent on properties.  For example, you'd only
want to src/xercesc/util/NetAccessors/WinSock/*.cpp files compiled when
"use-winsock" was defined and would have different files compiled when
use-libwww, use-socket or use-macosurl were defined.

In that message, I described the problem and threw out a couple of ways of
approaching the issue within the <cc> task.  However, with a little (but not
much more) thought, it seems that adding an "if" and "unless" attribute to
useful approach.  However, I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a
feel for how complicated that would be and whether it would be an affront to
some Ant ethos.  (There would also need to be a "if" and "unless" on
code).  If you are going to slam that suggestion, let me know how you would
approach the problem.

I'll continue trying to build Xerces-C and will report the possibly unpretty
trials and tribulations on the ant-contributors mailing list.  After we can
build Xerces-C using VC on Win32 and gcc on Linux, then it would be a good
opportunity with developers who have access to other platforms to up the
supported compilers and platforms.  After that phase is complete, I'd think
that <cc> would be ready to go mainstream.