ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Speaking of deprecation...
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2002 04:13:17 GMT
From: "Conor MacNeill" <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>

> Magesh Umasankar wrote:
>
> > From: "Conor MacNeill" <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>

> >>What about if deprecation warnings were a different message level,
> >>something like Project.MSG_DEPRECATED, perhaps between INFO and VERBOSE.
> >>A command line option to show them or not would be possible and we could
> >>print a summary at the end if there are any deprecated messages
> >>received, just as javac does. It would also explicitly mark deprecated
> >>tasks and attributes.
> >>

> > I would like to draw your attention back to this thread:
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=100643094000001&r=1&w=2
> >

> Wow, I started that thread :-)
>

> > Specifically these ones:
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=100704433531068&w=2
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=100704574205433&w=2
> >
> > where I have already proposed both the ideas that
> > you are proposing now.  Both were rejected.
> >
> > So, needless to say, I am +1 :-)
>

> Sorry, I don't remember reading them. Maybe I absorbed it at a
> subconscious level :-). Anyway, all credit to you for a good idea.
> Naturally I agree. Consider my mail a +1 on your suggestion.

Please find attached a patch that introduces
-deprecation to the command line.  Project.MSG_DEPRECATED
is introduced between INFO & VERBOSE.

When Ant is invoked without the -deprecation flag and
if deprecated features are used, only a single line is
output in the end saying Deprecated features have been
used.  If -deprecation, -verbose or -debug is used and
deprecated features are used as well, deprecated
messages show up.

As I have modified the value of some public static finals,
viz. Project.DEBUG and Project.VERBOSE, mandatory
recompiling of all of Ant's source code is needed.
If you can suggest a cleaner way to do this and avoid
this penalty, I am all ears.

If there are no objections raised against this patch,
I will go ahead and change all the necessary code
to use this new logging level as appropriate.

And with that in place, we can all then deprecate stuff
away with careless abandon ;-)

> Conor

Cheers,
Magesh