ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Tulley" <JTUL...@novell.com>
Subject RE: Ant Regexp wrappers [Re: multiline mode and platformissues]
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 21:18:35 GMT
Another thing to weigh in on the decision is that in Java 1.4, there is
a java.util.regex class (no P).  Of course, they have a link to the
Jeffrey Friedl book on the main javadoc page, so that is probably what
influenced them.  Ant IS in java.

I just muddied the waters some more, I'm sorry.

Jeff Tulley  (jtulley@novell.com)
(801)861-5322
http://www.novell.com

>>> holtdl@yahoo.com 1/29/02 11:45:50 AM >>>
--- Stephane Bailliez <sbailliez@imediation.com> wrote:
> In Mastering Regular Expressions p. 24(O'Reilly) Jeffrey Friedl
says:

> "As you might guess, using the full phrase 'regular expression' can
get
> a bit tiring particulary in writing. Instead, I normally use
'regex'.
> It just rolls right off the tongue (it rythmes with 'FedEx') and is
> amenable to a variety of uses like 'when you regex...' "budding
> regexers', and even "regexification"*.
>
> * You might also come accross 'regexp'. I recommend eschewing this
> unpronounceable blot on english."
>
> native english people to the rescue ? speak up :)

As a native English-speaking person, I not only don't mind "regexp", I
prefer it -- if for no other reason than to lessen the possibility of
people coming up with dumb made-up words like "regexification" :)

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)