ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Kyle Adams" <kad...@gfs.com>
Subject Re: Skipping empty JARs
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2002 13:14:46 GMT
bodewig@apache.org wrote:
> Ant`s equivalent of jar -M is to not use <jar>, the only point of
> <jar> is that it adds a manifest and makes sure that there is one,
> there is nothing <jar> would do, that cannot be done using <zip>.

files, but I disagree with the design decision made here.  From a
readability standpoint, it makes more sense for me to use the <jar>
task since that's what I'm doing - creating jars, not zips.

It seems that the whenempty="skip" attribute should check two
things: 1) is there a user-specified manifest and 2) are there any
files that match?  If both of these fail, then the jar file should not
be created.  If there is a user-specified manifest, the jar file
should always be created - the reasoning being that 1) jar files
always have at least a manifest, but 2) Ant shouldn't be creating
something from nothing.

Perhaps the various actions for the whenempty attribute (skip,
fail, create) should be modified for jars instead of disabled entirely.
How they function is dependent on the existence of a manifest,
and a distinction (in terms of functional behavior) exists
between a  user-specified manifest and Ant's auto-generated
manifest.  Consequently, we end up with an intelligent <jar> task.

I'm currently working on a modified <jar> task with these changes;
unless others out there are strongly opposed to modifiying how
the whenempty attribute functions, I'll post the patch when finished.

Kyle