ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Task postfix?
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:40:03 GMT
On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Peter Donald <peter@apache.org> wrote:

> I vaguely recall someone advocating that we post fix all our tasks
> with "Task" (was that you Erik?).

Why?

ExecuteOn.java used to implement <execon> (something you could guess
by then) and we later renamed that task as <apply> - so people have to
look up which class implements <apply>, they cannot guess it.

Using above rule, the class would have been ExecOnTask - how would
that improve the situation?  Same for CallTarget.java that would
be CallTargetTask, not AntCallTask ;-)

Maybe it would be better to not place any classes into the taskdefs
package that are not implementations of tasks but utility classes?

> any objections or not?

Other than "I don't like it"?  No.

But I don't like pre/post-fixing my variable names either and do so in
environments where I have to.

Stefan