ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant Regexp wrappers [Re: multiline mode and platform issues]
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:12:18 GMT
On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Stephane Bailliez <sbailliez@apache.org> wrote:

> 1) Jakarta Oro works fine and is perfectly consistent.

Well, it works like Perl and works as advertised.  Whether this is
"fine" or not, I don't want to judge.

> 2) Jakarta RegExp use platform dependant line-separator and the
> logic is not correct and will always return false on windows when
> the \n immediately ends the string.... bug. see code below:

Time for you to nominate yourself as a commiter - there doesn't seem
to be anybody else caring for it 8-(

> 2) JDK 1.4 does not care about the option UNIX_LINE for $,

Ouch.

So where are we here.  Put something like this into the documentation?

If you use $ to anchor your regular expression on the end of a line
and your line doesn't follow Unix conventions, you are on your own.
Everything you do depends on the regular expression library you use,
you better test your pattern on Unix and Windows platforms before you
rely on it.  We apologize for the inconvenience.

Stefan