ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What am I doing wrong?
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 12:28:07 GMT
On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, David Leuschner <david@loisch.de> wrote:

> Bugs don't get fixed and new features are not added as fast as they
> could.

I agree,

> Ant could be much better if there only were more developers, right?

I disagree to a certain degree.

During the past two months we've added three new committers (welcome
Adam) and we are bulking up.  Everybody who shows a strong commitment
to Ant over time can become a committer.  It just takes more than the
average effort, that's all 8-).

> they do it and have to patch ant each time there is a new release
> because their patches are just ignored or are put on endless todo
> lists.

Get on our nerves, prove that we a certain feature is lacking since
many releases and that we are simply neglecting the patch, tell us
every week ...

> I'm just a daily ant user worrying that fixes and improvements are
> getting lost because nobody commits them.

I'm not as worried as you, before we made new releases in the past,
bug fixes that have been sent via bugzilla have been applied - and
this is what a bug tracking system is all about.

When it comes to new features, you need to convince us that a feature
is great before we add it.  New tasks are only accepted with some
reluctance, especially tasks that no single committer can test
him/herself, because we end up maintaining them even after the
original author has abandoned it (which happens).

> Just my two cents (hey, I'm talking about Euro-cents ;-)

But haven't our Pfennige looked so much better?

Steve, I live close enough to the Dutch/German border that I could
take your guilds, but they don't accept it in shops any longer
(stopped doing so this Monday IIRC).  German Marks will expire by the
end of February.

Stefan