ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant Regexp wrappers [Re: multiline mode and platform issues]
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 17:23:11 GMT
On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Stephane Bailliez <sbailliez@imediation.com>
wrote:

> I don't want to be a committer for this project.

I was partly kidding.

> It was also the occasion to see that I will actually never use this
> part of the Java API considering the code in there.

;-)  Probably one of the reason why I avoid reading the code of the
Java class library.

> I'm simply wondering if we should not drop support for RegExp and
> JDK 1.4.

No.

> 1) there is no support for Jakarta RegExp.

No developer support, but it still has a lot of users
<http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/xref.html> and scroll
down to jakarta-regexp.

People using one of these projects already have jakarta-regexp
installed on their systems, why should we force them to use another
one.  They will eventually find that there are enough bugs lurking but
for most of the stuff Ant does with regular expressions,
jakarta-regexp seems to work.

> 2) JDK 1.4 regexp API is immature.

So what?  People are going to use it anyway.  And the same as above
applies.  This is like saying log4j or logkit are superior to
java.util.logging, it is true, but it will get used anyway.

> 3) It makes it impossible using the above API to be consistent
> across platforms.

Document it and recommend ORO.

> I will see if Xerces RegExp API can work consistently the Perl
> way. If yes, then it can be a good replacement for RegExp and JDK
> 1.4.

In addition to, not a replacement of IMHO.

And after that we could start thinking about commons-regexp much like
commons-logging, I think we have a good basis for that 8-)

Stefan