ant-dev mailing list archives

From David Bullock <dbull...@lisasoft.com>
Subject RE: GenericDeploymentTool and ejb
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2002 23:49:50 GMT
On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Holger Engels wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, David Bullock wrote:
>
> > Yup.  Basically, the JAR manifest entry 'Class-Path' rocks :-)  More Java
> > developers need to know about this one.

[snip]

> > I feel this is 'best current practice', and is preferrable to putting all
> > dependent classes in ejb.jar  ...  when the new task is released, it would
> > be good to NOT make it ship with dependency-bundling turned on by
> > default, IMHO.
> >

> Well, I don't like the Manifest-approach. Although I have written a custom
> task, that creates a manifest file with a Class-Path entry from a nested
> path element.

I was thinking about a task like this just the other day!  Is yours for
sharing?

Philosophically, what are your objections to the Manifest-approach?  This
is just for my own interest, as I am still exploring the whole
runtime-dependency-management space.

> I think they should add a war-like mechanism to the
> ejb-spec.

That would certainly make things simpler, agreed.

regards,
David.

--
----
David Bullock -  dbullock@lisasoft.com   +61 4 0290 1228

"The key ingredients of success are a crystal-clear goal, a realistic attack plan to achieve
that goal, and consistent, daily action to reach that goal."
Steve Maguire, "Debugging the Development Process".