ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types E numeratedAttribute.java
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2002 15:17:01 GMT
From: "Stephane Bailliez" <sbailliez@imediation.com>

> This is fine for me, then no protected attributes at all must exist.
> FYI we have about 183 occurrences of 'protected' in the code.

You are taking a difficult stance here because we cannot
privatise all protected attributes without sacrificing backwards
compatibility.  I recognize there are various such places
like you point out - in fact, EnumeratedAttribute itself
has 'value' as a protected attribute.

While I agree that having getters bloat the code a bit,
it gives us more freedom to make changes in the future,
without worrying about backwards compatibility.

I am just saying that code that we commit in the
future consider the evolution aspect of it. Just my $0.02.

> Stephane.

Magesh