ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject RE: Task postfix?
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2002 04:11:00 GMT
Tim,

> It doesn't "solve" any problems, as far as I can tell, but that
> doesn't mean
> it is not a useful convention.

My personal opinion:

In general, I am wary of encoding metadata into a name, whether it is a
class name or a member name. The problem with all of these schemes is
keeping them in sync. The classic example, of course is a Windows message.
What is the "width" of a wParam. It isn't a word - it's a long. If you rely
solely on the name, you may go wrong.

> Consistency => Maintainability

Agreed. The problem here is that the convention often gets broken due to a
refactor, extension or whatever. Renaming to follow the convention isn't
always an option. Once that happens, the convention can actually be a trap
because you rely on it and don't check anymore.

Good names are important, but I would still want to understand the code I am
maintaining without assuming its functions based solely on the names used.

All IMHO, etc.

Conor