ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject RE: Time for an official Ant 2 tree? (was Ant 1.9 & Task Packaging)
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2002 03:02:33 GMT
> From: Adam Murdoch [mailto:adammurdoch_ml@yahoo.com]
>
> Seems like we have at least 4 options:
>
> 1. Copy the Ant 1.5 tree and start refactoring.
>
> 2. Start from scratch.
>
> 3. Adopt Myrmidon as the official Ant 2 proposal.
>
> 4. Adopt Mutant as the official Ant 2 proposal.
>

> Option 4 I can't comment on - though I am looking forward to checking it
> out.  Perhaps there will be an option 5 - merge Mutant and Myrmidon and
> adopt that as the official Ant 2 proposal.

Adam, I agree we need an Ant 2 codebase. I won't comment on whether it
should be myrmidon or mutant or something else at this time. I will finish
committing my mutant proposal tonight (about 10 hours from now). I have set
up a fresh directory structure as you no doubt will have seen from all the
cvs commit mails.

It is, of course, nowhere near as complete as myrmidon is today, but it does
do things somewhat differently, both on the surface and deep down. Of
course, it does a lot of things in similar ways too.

I will write up a quick introduction to mutant, how it does things and why,
so people can understand the proposal.

My preference would be to announce a vote timetable, wait a few weeks for
the pros and cons of myrmidon/mutant/Ant1Refactor/other to be teased out
with some discussions. Of course if the other committers want to push for a
vote now, I will accept that.

What do you think?

Conor