ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Rob Oxspring" <roxspr...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [SUBMIT] Attrib task (chmod for Windows)
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2002 22:21:27 GMT

Correct - the cacls util happily "processes" the file with zero effect (at
least under Win2k)

> > How would you determine whether to use chmod.exe or attrib.exe. Both can
> > be valid on Windows, but chmod can't handle all the attributes that
> > attrib can.
>
> I'd say to use the tool that's native to the platform, because
> you'll know
> exactly where it is and what it can do.  attrib for Win9x-style
> OSes, attrib
> and/or the acl tools for NT-style OSes, chmod for UNIX-style OSes, and
> whatever Mac has (perhaps a separate OS9 impl if necessary).  You'd
> basically have a common interface and separate platform-specific
> implementations.

This still doesn't necessarily work - the distinction must be on filing
system not operating system.  This cannot be identified (that I know of),
but that doesn't mean that assumptions should be made using the OS instead.

> Optionally using chmod on Windows seems like more hassle than
> it's worth--I
> think it's more reasonable to expect a standard OS command to be present
> than an add-on.  Of course, you're always going to have a user
> who wants to
> run chmod everywhere, but isn't that what <exec> is for?
>
> Could be there's a reason Sun doesn't support file permissions in Java in
> the first place.... :)

Fair enough, but when people try and use Ant as an installation tool (which
seems to crop up every now and then) some sort of uniform access to these
commands would be useful.

Rob