ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Cohen" <Ste...@ignitesports.com>
Subject Strategy for automating the building of ant from source?
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2002 15:42:22 GMT
I am trying institute a simple process wherein other developers in my
shop can build ant from source with a minimum of bother.
I am handling the step of pulling down the sources from CVS and loading
them into our local version control system, but then the fun begins.

My two criteria are:
1) make no changes to the bootstrap and build scripts that come with the
distribution.  All variations from this would be to scripts that hook in
to these or wrap them.
2) No reliance on preset environment classpaths is permitted.  All
necessary classpaths to be set in scripts.

There are two problems I have in reaching these goals, none of which are
unsolveable, but I am wondering if anyone else has grappled with these
and has a better solution than I do:

1)  There doesn't seem to be any way to hook in the copying of optional
jars needed to build ant as desired into the /lib directory.
I could solve this by simply adding them to the local version control
system.  Does anyone have a better way?

2)  After the build, before use, these same jars need to be copied to
the /dist/lib directory, since ant.bat seems to build its classpath
exclusively from here.  I'm again sure I could hack something together,
but what's the BEST solution?