ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Combs, Clint" <clint.co...@contrado.com>
Subject "overriding" a target
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2002 22:36:05 GMT
Hi,

My company is using ant for all our Java builds.  We have a primary build
file, called common.xml, and all include files named project-name.xml
include this file via a line like:

<!ENTITY include.commontasks SYSTEM "file:./common.xml">

This works great, but I have a project where I'd like to extend the "clean"
target that is found in common.xml.  In other words, I'd like to define the
"clean" target in project-name.xml to do everything in common.xml, plus a
few more things.  Obviously, I could define another target name which
depends on clean, but that would break the overall build process, which
calls clean automatically on each project.

I saw discussions of extending tasks on this list a while ago, but nothing
about overriding/extending targets.

Is this sort of feature available now?  If not, does it sound like a
reasonable idea?  Would it be possible to add this?

Thanks,
Clint