ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Murdoch" <adammurdoch...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: IntrospectionHelper request
Date Sun, 06 Jan 2002 23:30:48 GMT

> Where we have numerous patterns for things like
>
> addX
> createX
> addConfiguredX
> setX
>
> we could have probably gotten away with just
>
> addX
> setX
>
> or even just
>
> setX

Good idea (for Ant 2, at least).  The current distinction between attributes and elements
on the task interface is kinda artifical.  As far as the task is concerned, they're all just
parameters.  Maybe they get constructed from an attribute, maybe assembled from a nested element,
maybe referenced from somewhere else, maybe entered at a prompt or selected in a list box
- the task doesn't know or care.

Doing away with the distinction would give the container flexibility to do things like provide
consistent build file shortcuts for data types that can be constructed from a string, and
for references.

For example, both the following cases would be handled by the container; the <javac>
task would have a single setClassPath(Path cp) method:

<javac classpath="...">

<javac>
   <classpath> ... </classpath>
</javac>

The container would also handle references, and call the same setClassPath() method.

<javac classpath-ref="some-path">

<javac>
    <classpath-ref id="some-path"/>
</javac>