ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jon Skeet" <jon.sk...@peramon.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Ant2 codebase adoption process
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2002 18:43:21 GMT
> Probably we should calm down a bit because this has been
> discussed earlier,
> but I am not shure if we already agreed on braking
> backwardscompatibility.

I believe this was discussed a *very* long time ago. I'm pretty sure "Ant 2 won't work with
all existing build files" was on the website somewhere before I even started *using* Ant...

> To support the compatibility-braking:
> It'll make things easier, regarding implementing new features
> and a new base
> and stuff! This is true and agreed!
>
> To support costins point:
> There are THOUSANDS (or even more) of build files out. Over a
> hundred (I
> have not counted them all) only in the apache-projects - even
> more on source
> forge ;-). It's an ILLUSION that the "build-masters" of all
> these projects
> will modify or strongly change ALL these build files just to
> use an Ant 2.0!

<snip>

If people have perfectly good working build files for Ant 1, then they can keep them that
way. I'd hope that Ant 1 will still be available from the website. It's just that people with
Ant 1 builds and don't want to convert them to Ant 2 (which will hopefully be an easy process,
if there's a tool for it) will have to stick to using Ant 1 and not get the benefits from
Ant 2.

I don't think that's a major problem, personally.

Jon