ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stephane Bailliez <>
Subject RE: Ant Regexp wrappers [Re: multiline mode and platform issues]
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:57:44 GMT

like what ?

> The "standard" C implementation for regular expressions uses <regex.h>
> while TCL has regexp built-in command, I'm not sure which one -
> "regex" with or without an appended "p" - is more common.

Javascript has 'RegExp'.
egrep mentions regexp
Ruby use Regexp

regex is also everywhere...

In Mastering Regular Expressions p. 24(O'Reilly) Jeffrey Friedl says:

"As you might guess, using the full phrase 'regular expression' can get a
bit tiring particulary in writing. Instead, I normally use 'regex'. It just
rolls right off the tongue (it rythmes with 'FedEx') and is amenable to a
variety of uses like 'when you regex...' "budding regexers', and even
"regexification"*. I use the phrase 'regex engine' to refer to the part of a
program that actually does the work of carrying out a match attempt.

* You might also come accross 'regexp'. I recommend eschewing this
unpronounceable blot on english."

native english people to the rescue ? speak up :)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message