ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stephane Bailliez <sbaill...@imediation.com>
Subject RE: Ant Coding guidelines
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:07:24 GMT

[...]
>Plus of course: jdepend, <maudit> (litte french language joke there
>Stephane?), and jprobe coverage. If someone has these tools on their system

Absolutely not.
It is the name used. The class itself is 'MAudit'. and the launcher is
'maudit'

For those who didn't get it, 'ĂȘtre maudit' in French means something like
'to be damned'.

>they could do a regular code quality report, though of course without
>everyone paying attention to the result the effort may be wasted.

Maybe I can setup something at work and publish the results on my account in
cvs.apache.org... mm...

>I guess that is the diff between local team projects and big OSS efforts;
it
>is harder to enforce things. In our team we can say things like "Comment
>your code like that and we send you the Cold Room for half an hour to
>install stuff on the server"; the room being so cold that would be against
[...]

Lucky you ! I found it easier in OSS than in a company because people are
usually more responsible. Many people in a company are developpers because
it's quite well  payed and there is no real problem to find a job and don't
give a s* about what they are doing and don't have the cense of ownership in
their work.

It is nonetheless impossible to somewhat 'threaten' people because you can't
fired people like this in France. Firing people for not respecting coding
guidelines will not be interpreted as 'faute grave' (ie: professional
mistake) by the law and the employee can sue the company for $ or ask to
reintegrate the company.

You have to be very careful when hiring someone. It is easier to fire
someone because he did not dress correctly rather than because he f* up
something or does nothing.

Stephane