ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Janes <pet...@liberate.com>
Subject Re: [SUBMIT] Attrib task (chmod for Windows)
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2002 21:52:23 GMT
Jesse Stockall wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 14:09, Peter Janes wrote:
>
>>With two tasks, you have to duplicate every set of permissions in build.xml
>>and know the syntax of the applicable commands on each platform, or risk
>>breaking on platforms you haven't considered (for example, what happens when
>>I compile your code on Mac?).  Plus, remember that NT can have "extended"
>>permissions similar to UNIX ACLs.
>
> On OS9 neither task would run. On OSX chmod would run. & since chmod on
> the Mac accepts the same permission syntax as other Unixes there would
> be no problem. As for other platforms, nothing would happen, as both the
> chmod & attrib tasks perform a platform check.
>
> The NT ACL's are more like chown/chgrp & chmod rather than just chmod.

But chmod is in there, which is what matters. :)  A cross-platform
chown/chgrp task raises other issues, like how to determine whether Ant is
running as root.

There's another point I'd forgotten that leads to more problems--in Windows,
as far as I know, only NTFS supports ACLs.  If you're running a FAT-style
filesystem, you don't have the option of setting permissions per-user,
though I'm not sure how the acl commands behave when you try.

> How would you determine whether to use chmod.exe or attrib.exe. Both can
> be valid on Windows, but chmod can't handle all the attributes that
> attrib can.

I'd say to use the tool that's native to the platform, because you'll know
exactly where it is and what it can do.  attrib for Win9x-style OSes, attrib
and/or the acl tools for NT-style OSes, chmod for UNIX-style OSes, and
whatever Mac has (perhaps a separate OS9 impl if necessary).  You'd
basically have a common interface and separate platform-specific
implementations.

Optionally using chmod on Windows seems like more hassle than it's worth--I
think it's more reasonable to expect a standard OS command to be present
than an add-on.  Of course, you're always going to have a user who wants to
run chmod everywhere, but isn't that what <exec> is for?

Could be there's a reason Sun doesn't support file permissions in Java in
the first place.... :)
--
fix, n., v.  What one does when a problem has been reported too many
times to be ignored.