ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Ant2 codebase adoption process
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2002 13:59:10 GMT
I would like to try and address people's many comments on this thread
but first I guess I should declare the vote a failure. Many committers
did not vote directly and of those that did, while we have some support
for the cutoff date, (+3.5) votes, there is insufficient support, (+2.5,
-1) votes for the selection method. Agreeing on a date but not agreeing
on what to do at that date is not that useful :-)

So, besides the debate about whether we need Ant2 at all, I think we do
not have a process for getting to Ant2. Sam  suggested the application
of Duncan's "rules for revolutionaries". I wonder whether those rules
will work or will the "dampening" effect he suggests just lead to
indefinite postponement. By suggesting a majority vote on selection of a
codebase, I wanted to at least ensure a result, a choice, in a bounded
timeframe. We have been waiting for Ant2 too long already - well at
least some of us have :-). My suggestion, therefore, is to leave aside
the question of timeframe and simply try to resolve the process for
codebase selection. Do you think rules for revolutionaries will work?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Conor