ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Ant2 codebase adoption process
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2002 13:59:10 GMT
I would like to try and address people's many comments on this thread
but first I guess I should declare the vote a failure. Many committers
did not vote directly and of those that did, while we have some support
for the cutoff date, (+3.5) votes, there is insufficient support, (+2.5,
-1) votes for the selection method. Agreeing on a date but not agreeing
on what to do at that date is not that useful :-)

So, besides the debate about whether we need Ant2 at all, I think we do
not have a process for getting to Ant2. Sam  suggested the application
of Duncan's "rules for revolutionaries". I wonder whether those rules
will work or will the "dampening" effect he suggests just lead to
indefinite postponement. By suggesting a majority vote on selection of a
codebase, I wanted to at least ensure a result, a choice, in a bounded
timeframe. We have been waiting for Ant2 too long already - well at
least some of us have :-). My suggestion, therefore, is to leave aside
the question of timeframe and simply try to resolve the process for
codebase selection. Do you think rules for revolutionaries will work?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message