ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: JSR for Ant (was RE: Ant 1.9 & Task Packaging)
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2002 21:15:13 GMT
Tim Dawson wrote:

> Conor writes:
>
>>Just to be clear - you are not supporting a JSR style
>>process, are you?
>>

> Its good to clarify - there were two proposals in that paragraph. :-)
>
> Based on your wording, it sounds like you think a JSR process might not be a good idea.
Am I misreading that?

Yes you are misreading it :-). I once proposed a JSR style process to
Pete for the specification of the container-task interfaces. He did not
support it. I want to clarify that his +1 to your paragraph does or does
not cover using a JSR approach.

> I don't know all of the pros/cons, but JSR for Ant seems fairly obvious to me -- the
JSR process is being used to standardize all manner of 3rd party Java tools/servers, why not
something as common as a build system? This JSR/Jakarta tie-in seems to work fairly well for
Tomcat, and the taglibs project has welcomed with open arms JSR-052 (standard taglib) with
many of the committers (myself included) becoming members of the expert committee, as well
as hosting the RI. So why not do this for Ant?

I don't have a problem with that but I am not familiar with JSR process
that much. Pete maybe able to give a counter point.

> One of the stated goals of Ant2 is to be useful in multiple contexts, e.g. command line,
IDE, autobuild tools, etc. A JSR process would get direct input from 3rd party IDE vendors
to ensure that Ant is adopted across those tools.

Conor