ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [myrmidon] add TaskContext.getService()
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:29:03 GMT
Hi,

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 17:14, Adam Murdoch wrote:
> > I tend to think of services as different from types. Services
> > persist over
> > the length of the ant "execution" or at least the "workspace
> > execution" or
> > whatever term we were using for this. Types are created by tasks while
> > serviuces never can be etc.
>
> Exactly.  And that's why they would use different roles, to distinguish
> between what they are and how they should be used.  But that doesn't mean
> the same infrastructure shouldn't be available to both services and
> data-types.

I think we mean different things when we are talking about services vs types.
When I think of services I tend to think that the services are a
semi-singleton available throughout the execution of all tasks. Where types
are created and used as needed.

For instance - consider the Javac task. It would use the JavacExecManager
service. Depending on parameters passed in the JavacExecManager would use a
JavaCompilerAdaptor object (ie Jikes, Modern, GCJ whatever).

So in this case the task does not directly interact with the GCJ/Jikes/etc
types but instead acts through the service which would in turn use the types.
Thoughts?

--
Cheers,

Pete