ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <>
Subject Re: [IDEA] Polymorphic types
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 07:35:42 GMT
On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 07:12, Tim Dawson wrote:
> I like the idea of polymorphic types, but I'm not sure about this type of
> implementation - it requires that the type be a subclass of another type,
> and would prohibit interface implementation from working. When I first ran
> into a similar issue a while back I got to thinking that what would be a
> better approach would be to pair this issue with the whole deployment
> descriptor issue, and have each type optionally declare a "property" that
> would be used to set it. (the DD issue comes into play because the third
> declaration by necessity breaks the ability to use the simple properties
> file to map the element name to the class)

What you have essentially described is the concept of a role from myrmidon.
It is open to debate whether inherited roles/role-subtyping is a good idea or
not and whether it should be up to original developer or dynamically
determined by runtime.

> Does the general idea though, of actually registering the property name
> work for people? I think it seems fairly obvious, especially when the
> default is to use the element name.

I would be very surprised if it could be integrated into Ant1.x successfully
or not but feel free to try. However I think that it was +1ed for Ant2

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message