ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Ant2 codebase adoption process
Date Sat, 26 Jan 2002 03:30:49 GMT
On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 05:23, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> I have not had time to dig into either, nor do I foresee myself digging
> into them much in the near future simply because I, as many others, don't
> feel a compelling need switch to a completely new architecture yet. ...
> I'm more inclined to favor an approach that evolves since that gives us
> something we can all work with on a daily basis using our existing build
> files and techniques.

Some people are evolutionaries, some revolutionaries and some wear different
hats at different times.

However if there is something you want to do that will improve ant1.x (and
ant2) then I have got a suggestion. It would be a really really really really
good thing to have the documentation for the tasks generated from the tasks
themselves. And since you have played with xdoclet ... What I would really
like to see is...

* a set of tags defined for tasks that help with generation of documentation.
You would have to be able to mark method for elements and attributes and I
guess inherit elements/setters from base classes. I guess you would also need
to have some escape tag that saids "This is developer mumbo jumbo - don't put
in user docs".

>From these tags generate an XML page that we could then use as input to
anakie/xslt/whatever.

* an ant1.x task that makes running the xdoclet faster and easier. So instead
of

<javadoc ...
 <doclet ... />
</javadoc>

you could just go

<xdoclet ..../>

And it would also do things like checking if the files have changed or not
and only rerunning ig they have changed since last run.

One of the reasons I haven't got around to enabling all of myrmidon to use
xdoclet for all its descriptor needs is because it is a bit slow ;)

So both of these things would greatly help both ant1.x and ant2. So feel free
to have a go. If you need experimentation space feel free to create a new dir
in proposal/xdoclet or something. Anyhow anything you could do towards that
would be fantastic :)

--
Cheers,

Pete

Duct tape is like the force.  It has a light side, and a dark side, and
it binds the universe together ...
                -- Carl Zwanzig