ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant 1.9 & Task Packaging
Date Sat, 26 Jan 2002 02:29:35 GMT
On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 06:07, Ted Neward wrote:
> > Yes, I know that (Hi Ted, I've read your book 8-).
>
> *sniff* It's always so touching to know I've reached out and corrupted--I
> mean *influenced*--another Java programmer.... :)

:)

> This whole task-dependency thing (as near as I can tell) is really an
> outgrowth of a larger problem within Java, that there is no
> dependency-tracking in general between components (.jar files, in this
> case). Windows had "DLL Hell", we have "Jar Hell". I've been trying to get
> guys at Sun to listen to this, but they're not biting.

I notice you are on the services JSR ... perhaps you could get together help
push the Extensions/Optional Package spec into more support in different
JSRs. I may be able to ... err ... convince Berin, Fede and Paul to help you
in that area and there is other JSRs in progress (particularly the Isolate
JSR) that would be much enhanced by a ldso-like extension loader built into
the JVM. SO what you say? ;)

> I freely admit, though, that I'm walking into the middle of a conversation
> here. Can someone summarize the salient points in a paragraph or two,
> before I spout off, as usual, and make myself look foolish? :)

I think we were just bitching about JVMs having sucky library management ;)
Something like Extensions/Optional Package spec (with some extra mechanism to
indicate incompatability) would be a great thing to be suppoorted in the JVM
;)

--
Cheers,

Pete