ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Ant2 codebase adoption process
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2002 20:54:51 GMT
On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 05:23, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> I didn't vote as I've been swamped this week and have not had a chance to
> catch up yet - and is now a moot point.
>
> I would like to hear counter-points to each implementation - Conor's take
> on myrmidon and Peter's take on mutant.  What about each is different and
> irreconcilable?

Theres only minor differences and there is no technical reason why they are
irreconcilable. Ignoring cosmetic differences, most of the myrmidon code adds
an extra layer of abstraction compared to mutant. For example the ClassLoader
architecture described by Conor is very similar to mymidon except that
myrmidon actually has an extra layer (ie ClassLoader shared by tasklibs but
not shared by container). Similar things are all through the codebase.

Last iteration, Myrmidon adopted much of the mutant terminology (ie
ExecutionFrame is now common to both while myrmidon used to use a different
term, the concept of project/target/task model is relatively the same and so
forth). It seems the reason mutant proposal also adopted a bit of myrmidon
terminology.

So the technical differences are minimal to non-existent.

Note I haven't looked closely at recent mutant but I knew the old mutant well
enough ;)

> Having competing proposals being prototyped doesn't unify ant-dev and only
> seems to make it more difficult to accomplish our goals with efforts being
> split.

yuppo.

> I have felt my own share of frustration over progress in Ant 1.x
> being rejected, so I'm not sure how the evolutionary concept will work
> though.

It won't ;)

> I would like to see a larger separation between the core engine and tasks -
> I just thought I'd throw that out as a goal that I have.  Currently ant-dev
> is caught up maintaining tasks much more than the core, it seems.

I really really really want a separation between an antlibs CVS (or project)
that is similar to taglibs for JSP which will hopefully enable that in the
future.

--
Cheers,

Pete