ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Chmod task for Windows
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2002 20:18:22 GMT
On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 07:10, Jesse Stockall wrote:
> I need to be able to toggle the read-only flag for some files on
> Windows. I'm able to do this with attrib.exe
>
> I created a new task (copy of chmod task) to use attrib & work only on
> windows.

kool.

> I think a better idea would be to modify the chmod task so that is uses
> chmod on Unix & attrib on Windows. Unfortunately there are different
> permissions available on Unix & Windows so the task would have to be
> smart enough to use -R on Windows & +w on Unix to toggle the write
> permission.

Theres also the difficulty that some windows platforms (ie cygwin) actually
support chmod to some degree or another. So we would be blocking people who
already used chmod on win32.

> Would either of these be accepted into Ant?

The first one would definetly be accepted. The second *might* be accepted if
it was done in an exceptionally good way but I suspect it would not :)

--
Cheers,

Pete