ant-dev mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Ant2 codebase adoption process
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2002 19:13:08 GMT
--- Christoph Wilhelms <Christoph.Wilhelms@impress.com> wrote:
> To support costins point:
> There are THOUSANDS (or even more) of build files out. Over a hundred (I
> have not counted them all) only in the apache-projects - even more on
> source forge ;-). It's an ILLUSION that the "build-masters" of all these
> projects will modify or strongly change ALL these build files just to
> use an Ant 2.0!

As someone who wears a "build-master" hat (among others), I can say this:
If there's some compelling reason to switch, it'll get done. IOW, if
there's something I really want/need with Ant2 that I can't get from Ant1,
then I'll grab Ant2 and have at the build. Afterall, it wouldn't be any
different than finding some wholly new tool that does something better or
not available with the currently used tool and switching to that (eg.,
scrapping an old Make process to switch to a slick new tool). As long as
the pay-off is there, and the impact on the process end-users is minimal
(eg., developers can still use the new process as easily, or more so, as
the old one), it's not only not that big of a deal to re-work things, it's
pretty much my job :)

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)