ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Ant2 codebase adoption process
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2002 09:04:43 GMT
On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 04:40, costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Conor MacNeill wrote:
> > The obvious candidates. IMHO are myrmidon and mutant. Other candidates
> > may emerge in the discussion period. I do not believe we should include
> > Ant 1.x as an option but again let us discuss.
>
> I think Ant1.x should be an option ( because that's what I would vote
> for).
>
> I'm not an active ant commiter curently, but if my vote still counts
> it'll be -1 on any candidate that doesn't have a clear backward
> compatibility plan built into the design - i.e it should be able to run
> most existing ant tasks and provide wrappers between the new APIs and
> the old ones ( like xalan compat package for example ).

It is actually realtively easy to get about 80-90% backwards compatability
with most tasks. I actually had this working a while back till it broke gump
builds - it wasn't really complete just a proof of concept. Hence it got
zapped - should be easy to get that support back when we need it.

However due to the relative porous nature of ant1.x it will be virtually
impossible to support the remaining 10-20% because they directly reference
things in ants core or use deprecated features and so forth.

And with a somewhat complex XSLT sheet most ant build files will be able to
be auotmagically migrated to ant2 or at least partially migrated.

--
Cheers,

Pete