ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant2 VFS Proposal
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2002 08:29:36 GMT
On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:10, Adam Murdoch wrote:
> * Guarantee that certain functionality is available in all providers, and
> behaves consistently across all providers.  Some examples: providers must
> handle paths with / and \ separators.  Or, providers must throw an
> exception on an attempt to read the content of something that is not a
> file.  Searching would also fall under this category - providers will have
> to support searching, and will have to be able to handle the Ant-style path
> wildcards.  ("provider" here means "provider, with the help of the VFS
> framework").

cool. So like JNDI there will be a separate "SearchControl" and perhaps
separate "NameParsers"?

> * Make other functionality optional, but guarantee that it behaves
> consistently across all providers for which it is available.  Some
> examples:  Delete must be recursive, if delete is supported.  Or, the
> parent folder must be implicitly created when writing to a new file, if
> writing to files is supported.

ok.

> * Allow provider-specific functionality to be exposed, but make no
> guarantees about its availablility, or portability.  Some examples:  The
> set of attributes supported for files is unspecified.  Or caching - a
> provider can cache whatever and however it wants.

works for me - so the set of attributes is defined purely by the
provider/filesystem combo. Will it be possible for a user to associate
attributes with files in the build file or anything like that ?

> I think that the tasks' needs should drive where a particular feature sits.
>  Features like concurrency detection can start in the third category, and
> work their way up, if they prove useful.

+1

BTW when are you going to submit your source ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete