ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant 1.9 actionlist & Selector API
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2002 08:31:22 GMT
On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 08:37, Tim Dawson wrote:
> I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate send or the topic has
> otherwise been discussed in the last week. I recently switched email
> accounts and hadn't remembered to re-subscribe under the new address.
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/ant2/actionlist.html#selector states:
>
> The selector API is one such mechanism to do this. The selector API will
> allow you to build file sets based on criteria other than name. Some
> possible criteria would be
> *	Is the file readable?
> *	Is the file writeable?
> *	What date was the file modified on?
> *	What size is the file?
> *	Does the contents contain the string "magic"?
>
> If we end up supporting a VFS then we could expand the number of selectors
> considerably. A mock representation that has been proposed before is the
> following. Of course this is subject to change as soon as someone wants to
> tackle this action ;)

Someone already has tackled it for Ant1.x - have a look at the mail on ant-dev

[SUBMIT] Selector API Implementation
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 21:02:40 -0500
From: "Magesh Umasankar" <umagesh@apache.org>

However it still follows the old style. I would love to see what you thought
of it. It is a patch against ant1.x so can't have all the wiz bang features
that would be possible in a more controlled container but it is a great start.

> Each implementor of FileSelector would be able to define specific
> attributes that needed to be set -- no generic "operation", "value"
> attributes that make sense for one selector type but not another. This
> would also greatly simplify extending and providing your own custom file
> selector - just subclass FileSelector, add the task definition to your
> build file, and away you go -- the ant execution engine should take care of
> the rest.

It has been suggested before and I think that was the initial XML API I
proposed but it was -1'ed by other committers. However I still think it would
be useful ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete