ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: myrmidon questions
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:50:57 GMT
On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 21:00, Adam Murdoch wrote:
> > * refactor and clean (and understand) all the different types of
> > path parsing
> > code there is in ant. Most of it has been pushed into
> > ant.util.FileUtils and
> > util.PathTokenizer. All this needs to be done according to one consistent
> > scheme.
>
> I've just been doing this exact thing - extracting the parsing code for use
> in my VFS proposal.  And making it extensible, to deal with FS specific
> naming.  Currently, naming is pretty tightly coupled with the VFS stuff at
> the API level, but that's easy enough fixed, if necessary.
>
> Generally speaking, the VFS layer is the perfect place for file naming.
> Certainly it would give you somewhere to get consistent behaviour
> happening.
>
> I'm very close to submitting an initial proposal to the list.  Let me get
> something written up, and we can see if it fits in with what you're
> planning.

sounds good. I will skip that biut and wait for a proposal then ;)

> > Then we need to create a more reusable and extensible dependency
> > architecture
> > so that we can just pass in a list of input and mapping between
> > inputs and
> > outputs and then get those items that need to be updated (ie
> > compiled, copied
> > etc). To test this out I was going to use the zip/jar/ear tasks
> > as first line
> > and then move onto refactoring javac to use it.
>
> I've been tinkering with this (including persisting the dependency info,
> and colouring too) in the C/C++ task.  Needs generalising, but might be
> something useful to steal there.

You may want to look at http://code.werken.com/ which apparently has a decent
dependencies generator for java that we could plunder ... err reuse ;)

> Can I make one suggestion: Move self-hosting up as early as possible.  A
> lot of this stuff is refactoring, and can be done after self-hosting
> happens.  There's plenty of good reasons for self-hosting as early as
> possible.

okay. Might be a good idea - actually would fit with this whole agile/XP
developement methodology I try to follow aswell ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete