ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [SUBMIT] Selector API Implementation
Date Sun, 13 Jan 2002 08:46:24 GMT
On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 13:02, Magesh Umasankar wrote:
> This is an implementation of the proposed Selector functionality
> (http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/ant2/actionlist.html#selector)
> This is designed to work in Ant1 itself.
>
> A minor change from the proposal is the retention of 'name' as
> a mandatory attribute for include/exclude elements.
>
> This implementation allows addition of selectors as needed.
>
> Each selector element takes in 3 attributes - type, value and
> operation, such that one can say:
>
> <include name="**/*.java">
>    <selector type="type" operation="equals" value="file"/>
>    <selector type="modify-time"
>              operation="greater-than"
>              value="29th Feb 2003"/>
> </include>
>
> I have implemented an example selector (FileTypeSelector).
>
> Please take a look and vote to let me know if you find this
> worth commiting.
>
> Note: defaults.properties must go into the
> /org/apache/tools/ant/selectors directory.

I had a look and it looks good - however I aren't familiar enough with all
that stuff to say for certain ;) I noticed you added 2 methods to the
FileScanner interface - but I guess that is highly unlikely to cause issues
outside of the main ant-dev tree - so I guess thats ok.

About the only modification I would make is to add an initialize or prepare
method to the FileSelector. That way in the selector you wouldn't keep having
to do expensive string compares. You could instead do the compare once and
cache it in a boolean variable. That should be much faster.

Another thing I just thought of is that passing in a File object is going to
make it difficult (impossible?) to work with ZipFileScanner and friends? So
it may be an idea to pass in a string or maybe we could just ignore the fact
that it doesn't work for the time being ... not sure. What do you think?

--
Cheers,

Pete