ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IntrospectionHelper request
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2002 07:34:50 GMT
On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 23:17, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> DynamicConfigurator has been implemented.  Attached is a .zip file with all
> the pieces (although sorry the directory structure didn't get embedded).
> The test case, of course, passes.  I didn't really intend to implement it
> fully, I was just investigating the possibilities, and it was easy enough
> to go all the way with it.
>
> The two pieces added to IntrospectionHelper are pretty small.  The change
> to createElement could have been done a bit cleaner by refactoring the
> entire method slightly, but I wanted to get the functionality reviewed
> cleanly rather than the refactoring getting in the way of review.

implementation is fine and yay you used an interface - everyone else here
seems to prefer reflection.

> This isn't a representative task, but illustrates the pluggable capability
> that has been added.

yep.

> Peter - thoughts?  What kind of potential beasts are we unleashing if we
> accept this?

a whole bunch of uglies ;)

> Personally I'm +1 on it, obviously!  :)  But I'm eager to hear the
> negatives to this implementation as well.

Well the negative is mainly that as yet you haven't been able to give me a
real use case. It wouldn't even help in the case of the DocletInfo or
whatever it was due to the way javadoc works and besides I consider it a
workaround for the limitations of Ant1.x rather than a good features.

So probably the best idea is to come up with a valid use case :)

--
Cheers,

Pete