ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types E numeratedAttribute.java
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2002 10:29:06 GMT
On Tue, 8 Jan 2002 21:17, Stephane Bailliez wrote:
> [...]

:)

> > Not really viable to cleanup the majority of stuff due to backwards
> > compatability. We can clean it for Ant2 and I have been
> > gradually doing this
> > in the myrmidon proposal but it is just not justifiable in Ant1.x ;(
>
> Do you really think that respecting/modifying indent, brace, and naming of
> 'private' attribute will break backward compatibility. :-)

brace, indent, private attribute - they can be changed. You have IDEA -
right ? Should be simple - at this point I assume you are volunteering ;)

BTW anyone who has never used IDEA before - try it. It is the first editor
that got me away from emacs ... I now even reboot into win32 (yuck) to code
because it such a nice editor.

> [Eclipse..sorry it's Jeff McAffer]
>
> > Sorry - I missed them - do you have a link ;)
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=99859615332616&w=2

tah.

> > If you want but I think we should leave of till Ant2 to try
> > an enforce it or
> > anything and I think it should focus less on typographic
> > features and more on making things easier to evolve
>
> What do we do about the task attributes which are obviouslly critical ? I
> believe this is common practice to reference the project attribute rather
> than the project getter, so I guess we can do nothing about this one. But
> do we have to wait until there is more and more tasks using it ?

Well what I have done in the past is the following. Add a @deprecated tag to
attribute redirecting user to the accessor. Then make the accessor protected
final and convert all the tasks to use it - hey IDEAs "encapsulate attribute"
refactoring would do this in under 20 seconds ;)

> In the same vein 'maybe' I broke someone's task because I switched the
> attributes of EnumeratedAttribute to private.... :-(

I have no idea if you did - if it was protected last release then it should
stay protected :(

--
Cheers,

Pete