ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types E numeratedAttribute.java
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2002 08:53:14 GMT
On Tue, 8 Jan 2002 19:29, Stephane Bailliez wrote:
> I'm just saying that even if I fully agree with this, this sudden
> 'guideline' is all of a 'sudden' and has never been part of the Ant
> guidelines which do not exist at all AFAIK. So I'm just wondering why this
> is suddenly emerging when there has been lengthy talk about how dead was
> the Ant 1.x code.

Better late than never ;)

> I'm totally 150% OK for this but I'd would also like us to focus on having
> the code cleaned up to be homogeneous and respect the Jakarta coding lines
> especially considering braces, indentation and naming. There has been
> lengthy debate about this on general and commons about how anarchic was
> starting to be the code in Jakarta and even though in Ant a lot of code has
> been done by non-committers this does not prevent us from having severe
> guidelines and respect them.

Not really viable to cleanup the majority of stuff due to backwards
compatability. We can clean it for Ant2 and I have been gradually doing this
in the myrmidon proposal but it is just not justifiable in Ant1.x ;(

> If we do this then we have to be more responsive about user willing to
> integrate Ant.
> For instance I think we did not take much in account the critics from Jeff
> McGuire about integrating Ant w/ Eclipse.

Sorry - I missed them - do you have a link ;)

> For the sake of clarity and so that it is crystal-clear I will commit a
> document about these coding guidelines ASAP as a starting point. Comments ?

If you want but I think we should leave of till Ant2 to try an enforce it or
anything and I think it should focus less on typographic features and more on
making things easier to evolve

--
Cheers,

Pete